Tuesday 22 November 2011

"It's been a hard day's night" - The Beatles

Here is a little peak into the daily happenings of my life. 

I wake up, shower, get dressed and put on my super cool helmet!

I walk down 66 steps to the main floor where I have breakfast. I don't eat in my helmet for the record. My breakfast usually consists of a plate of chopped fruit...watermelon, pare, dragon fruit, pineapple, and sometimes mango. You know it's going to be a good day when you have mango on your plate. I also enjoy a delicious lemon tea with ice! 

Then my driver picks me up for work. This is Kay. He greets me every morning with a smile and wants to know everything I did the evening before. I'm sure his generosity and interest in my life is half personal interest, half he wants to practice English. Whatever the reason, I enjoy talking with him very much. We usually chat the whole way to work and back about life, our families, our travels, etc... Out of all the Cambodian friends I have made here, I am going to miss him the most! 

We carefully weave through the busy streets, run traffic lights and sometimes even driving on the sidewalk. This is all very normal and very exciting! 

This is the COMFREL Head Office where I work every day. 

This is the sign on the front of our building. Ooo-la-la!

This is my air conditioned office. I sit in the desk closest to the fan on the far left. You can see my awesome  purifying water bottle from the Fergundanza's that I LOVE and use all the time!!! I share this office with four Cambodian men. It can get awkward at times and they mostly pretend I'm not there but they bring me banana snacks so it works!!!! 

At lunch I have a two hour break so I go for a quick walk to stretch my legs. It must be quick though because it's too hot to stay out for long. Cars parked over the sidewalk is very normal. In fact, there is usually a security guard who helps them pull in and back out.

This is the Cambodian flag lined street I walk down. There are a few universities and learning centers along this road so it's always busy with students... and of course dogs! There is also a children's hospital where I normally sit on a bench and eat my lunch  (white rice and fried vegetables).

After my day, I head back to Tattoo Guesthouse where I live.

I spend a lot of my weeknights along the riverfront where there are countless restaurants, bars, spas, shops and forms of entertainment. There are usually street performers that draw huge crowds and exercise classes going on along the water. It's a beautiful and relaxing environment and is very different from the rest of the city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment